Statement of Purpose

Friday, May 31, 2013

sample sop - Computer Science 31

STATEMENT OF PURPOSE Computer Science 31

I am in the final year of the four year Bachelor of Technology program of the Computer Science and Engineering program of the ****. My career objectives lie in the pursuance of research and academics in theoretical computer science - especially in mathematical logic, automated theorem proving, program correctness and semantics of programming languages}. I believe that graduate studies leading to a PhD through research work of quality in these fields are a necessary step towards my goal.
The undergraduate courses of the CSE department of **** have given me a comprehensive exposure to all the core fields of computer science and mathematics. Man’s attempts at mathematically modeling objects of study and then using these models to reason, predict, draw new meanings and interpretations have always fascinated me. Hence, in course of my Studies I’ve come to realize that I wish to pursue research and academics in the above-mentioned areas of theoretical computer science. These areas, I believe are rapidly developing and offer great scope to one who is confident of producing fruitful work and coming up with creative ideas.
I have performed reasonably well in my undergraduate courses at ****, but since **** admits only the best students throughout the country, I believe, in view of the competitive atmosphere, that the grades secured should not be considered in an absolute sense.
My interest in theoretical computer science has inspired me to carry out research and implementation in this subject, as can be seen from my attached resume. Simultaneously, I have kept myself abreast with the recent trends in research through literature surveys during projects, related to courses and otherwise. I have availed of every opportunity to learn more about my areas of interest. I have taken have enrolled for a number of relevant courses offered by the computer science, mathematics and humanities departments. My senior thesis (home paper) PROGRAM VERIFICATION USING ALGEBRAIC METHODS has given me a chance to explore these areas in greater depth (details in resume).All these activities have gone a long way towards making my background very strong in my areas of interest.
I have also had a good deal of teaching experience as can be seen from attached certificates. This experience convinced that I have the communication skills and the ability to explain things precisely to become a teacher.
My years at **** have been enlightening ones but I need to constructively build up on what I’ve learned so far. Duke, I think is the ideal learned so far. Duke, I think, is an ideal choice towards this end. My decision was based on a careful examination of the department brochures and information from faculty members and alumni. I have also communicated with Dr.yyy, Director of graduate studies of the Computer Science department.
Duke has a stress on research-oriented study, flexibility and closer Professor-student relationships. I think that having such a sound academic environment at a reputed University such as Duke, with the work of a small group of teachers serving as a model, I will be able to attain my true potential. Specifically I am keen to participate in the ongoing research activity at Duke in the following fields:
Finding efficient proof procedures for first order logic theorem proving.
Reasoning in educational logics Program correctness and program transformation I look forward to making my contributions to the advancement of computer science - starting at Duke.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers